Thursday, August 2, 2007

Thing 16: Shocking Dr. Seuss Who only Got to Thing 1 and Thing 2!


Wiki Wiki! Quickly now, as we are in a race against time!


Have just poked about in more than a few wikis and find them very interesting--I even created a log in for one of them and did quite a bit of spell-checking! I'm shocked, SHOCKED!, that an alleged librarian writing about the weeding process could make so many grammatical and spelling errors. Was this a test?


Who is to say that the original page was not written that way for a reason? Was it a secret code that I have now changed? Will a previously arranged rendezvous now be thwarted? Will Mom know where I am? And after all is said and done, will anyone really care?


I guess the thing that bothers me the most is that somewhere out there there is bound to be some pretty lousy information that someone will ASS-U-ME is correct. Laziness is prevalent in our society and facts are not checked. Hmmm....and if you are going to check the info in some other reputable, reliable source why not just go there in the first place!? I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be more "vandalism" but little people who are interested in messing with other people's stuff. I didn't see any of that though so perhaps that fear of mine is unfounded.


In the end I would say that nope, I don't think that wikis are the best site for getting information. I CAN see, on the other hand, that using them for the sharing of ideas, building communities and trading recipes for the best chocolate chip cookies would be just swell.
I'd be interested to see what we could do with this sort of resource in the library---Yes, Irmgarde, Annette and Maurice I DO know that HCPL already has one! I'm watching it!
Aloha!

No comments: